Skip to main content

i believe. help my unbelief.

Woe to those who quarrel with their Maker, those who are nothing but potsherds among the potsherds on the ground. Does the clay say to the potter, 'What are you making?' Does your work say, 'The potter has no hands?' Isaiah 45:9

Do you ever wrestle with God? I certainly do. Sometimes I feel like an angsty teenager when it comes to my relationship with our creator. Some things I argue with the Lord about are:

*Why does my brain work the way it does?

*Why can some women not have children when others (who probably shouldn't be mothers to begin) have no trouble conceiving?

*Why are children allowed to abused?

*Why me? Why do I have this amazing relationship with you when other people can't find you at all? I read the truechristian subreddit regularly and there are often christians claiming to cry out to God and come away empty. This is something I just do not understand, because I know the relationship I have with the Lord is real, and I wrestle with the idea that others cannot find him. This disturbs me.

I do take these concerns to the Lord, and sometimes I have to recognize that things are just outside of my realm of understanding. I guess it all comes down to faith, and believing that the Lord does hear and answer all our prayers. He exists outside of time, so perhaps these prayers have already been answered, they just haven't yet been revealed in human time. God will meet us in our despair, but it might not be how or when we imagined it. And we also have to come to terms with the fact that there are things we probably never will understand while we are on earth. 

For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the LORD. “As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts. Isaiah 55:8-9

I believe we all have questions that we struggle with. And I know much of the horrible stuff that happens boils down to free will and the fact that we live in a fallen world with broken people. I think it's ok to question as long as we understand that compared to God there's so much that our brains just cannot comprehend. The bible is filled with people who questioned their faith from time to time. Jeremiah was filled with doubt. Gideon doubted God's ability to help him win a war so much that he couldn't stop asking him for signs. Thomas, one of the twelve disciples, even refused to believe Jesus had risen until he could see and feel his crucifixion wounds himself.  

When you are questioning your faith, don't try to deny your questions. Face them head on. Talk to other christians that you trust. Open up your bible and don't stop praying. Doubt is not the same as disbelief. Don't feel guilty for having questions, and ask the Lord to use this doubts to help strengthen your faith. 

Jesus said, "Everything is possible for the one who believes." Immediately the boy's father exclaimed, "I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!" Mark 9:23-24

Comments