Skip to main content

I'm offended!

Sometimes it feels like society is constantly looking for new ways to become offended. Each and every week seems to present new ideas that are offensive. And every week it seems to be a little more insane. I have a hard time wrapping my head around this phenomenon of everyone getting offended by everything all of the time. And now this week- getting the correct answer in math makes you a white supremacist!?!

You know it's a choice, right? You literally have the power to NOT be offended. Practicing detachment is a good skill to master. You don't have to carry the weight of the world. You can let things go and just not care. It's also good to periodically remind yourself that the world doesn't revolve around you. Sometimes we forget. 

I think the real mystery for me is just not understanding why anyone dedicates their time and energy over being upset when they don't have to. I guess it's an asset (or maybe a character flaw,) but I was born with this ability to just not care what anyone thinks about me. It's strange, because I have so much empathy that most of the time I don't know what to do with it. On the flip side, I have a very morbid sense of humor and I have to be careful what I say because there's a good chance I might offend someone with something that doesn't seem offensive to me at all. Hypersensitivity does not equal empathy. It just means you don't have thick skin. 

Abusing a child or anyone that cannot defend themselves..........offensive.

Math..........not offensive. 

I think, maybe, that this stems from a feeling of inferiority. When we feel like we are being disrespected we put up our defenses and become offended. And some personality types can't drop it. They just cannot let it go. I think the people most offended could also potentially have control problems. They get upset when people react and respond in a way that's different from what they perceive is right. Why become offended over something you cannot change, or something that doesn't even affect you at all? Why does it even matter? Use that energy for something productive. 

Everyone (used to) have the right to their own opinions. I mean, to an extent we can still say whatever we want if we're not worried about being 'cancelled.' (Another concept that is absolutely insane to me. If you don't like what someone says, look away. Close out the tab. Go do something else. Oh, you'd rather destroy their entire livelihood because they disagree with you? You are soooooo woke.) Why can't we let people have the freedom to be who they are and believe what they want to believe without trying to micromanage their thoughts? I feel like as a whole, most of humanity has taken a huge step backwards when it comes to enlightenment. We have this plethora of knowledge available, but people want to belittle others. What good is knowledge without wisdom? 

I try to remind myself that if someone is easily offended, they are probably miserable inside. And I can have empathy towards that. 

Love is not easily offended. 1 Corinthians 13:5

Comments