Skip to main content

the B-I-B-L-E

 "But blessed are your eyes, for they see, and for your ears, for they hear. For truly I say to you, many prophets and righteous people longed to see what you see, and did not see it, and to hear what you hear, and did not hear it." Matthew 13:16-17

I love the bible. Sometimes this is still surprising to me. I never imagined that one day I would grow up to be a person that cherished the scriptures. When I became a born again christian I immediately had this desire to learn everything about Jesus that was available, and where to start but the actual inspired words of God? The first time I read the entire bible it changed my life. I read it from beginning to end, and prayed that I would read it with an open mind and without preconceived notions. Afterwards, it was the first time that life had actually made sense to me. What I have learned from reading the bible on my own is that some well-meaning people in my life have gotten some things about Jesus and love WRONG, because they took what some other human told them as truth without searching for their own. We can't expect another person to save us. Your mother/father/husband/wife/preacher/cousin's best friend's roommate can't do it for you. You have to search yourself. 

"Your words are a lamp to my feet and a light to my path." Psalm 119:105

Sometimes I think about how lucky we are to have the scriptures readily available to us on so many platforms. We can have a literal paper book, or you can download the bible on your tablet or even on your phone. You can even buy a copy at the dollar store. There were times where the scriptures were only available to priests or even men. Today (with few exceptions) anyone who wants a copy of the bible can have one. Our ancestors were persecuted and killed in their efforts to get the truth to us. I am incredibly grateful that I don't have to depend on another human for what to believe. 

Unfortunately many christians will often argue over which version of the bible is the best. I don't think it matters**. If you sincerely desire the word of God, he will not lead you astray. If you are prayerfully seeking the Lord, he will guard and guide your path. I know some christians claim King James version is the only way to go,but why? If you enjoy Shakespearean English then read King James. But it's ok to read another version. The Lord will lead you. (**Actually, if I could make a tiny suggestion...I wouldn't recommend any version of the bible that a particular religion put together. Nothing that has any new revelations or prophecies. Or verses omitted.) 

It does bum me out that many christians don't know the scriptures. I fear that they will be deceived in the days to come. I do try to remind myself that not everyone loves to read as much as I do. But if you have a relationship with someone, don't you want to know as much about them as possible? You can know God through prayer and the belief in Christ, but why not go ALL in? If we were interested in a new person most of us are inquisitive (or nosey) enough to google them for more information. Why wouldn't we do the same for the Lord? Why wouldn't we also do some investigating to learn more information? 

When you read the bible, things will begin to click and you will have more eureka moments than you've ever experienced before. God has given me a new heart and completely changed me from the inside out. And it's not like I'm sitting here reading the bible nonstop. It only takes about 20 minutes a day, and it's a great way to start your morning with a better mindset. 

"For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart." Hebrews 4:12

The bible is not just an ancient text of words that are irrelevant to us today. The bible is alive and active. It has the power to change you for the better. Do not take the privilege of access to the the bible for granted. It is a tremendous blessing. Many people of the past longed to understand what is readily available for understanding. 

Comments