Skip to main content

what flavor is a priceless cake?

Last Monday I was at the food bank when I recognized a familiar voice that I hadn't heard in a long time. It belonged to a previous volunteer that I will refer to as Maggie. I work in the office side of the food bank now, but when I first began volunteering I was in the back of the house making food bags. Maggie had volunteered for a brief period of time, maybe a month or so, but I loved the days we were scheduled together because she knew a lot about the bible and spiritual warfare, and we had some really amazing conversations. 

And then one day Maggie randomly came in and said she would no longer be volunteering with us because she felt God was calling her somewhere else. 

I had wondered about her a few times over the years, but really hadn't thought about her in a while, so when I heard her voice I immediately recognized her, and jumped up and ran to say hello. This is so unlike me. Usually I like to blend in and not draw attention to myself, but I had really liked Maggie and wanted to at least say hi.

I caught up to her outside, where she was taking these beautiful cakes out of her car. Each cake was decorated with fondant to look like a gift box. They were all different colors with elaborate ribbons and decorations. I can't imagine the time and energy she spent on each of them.

She handed me a pink cake and said, "This is for you. These cakes are only for people who know they are going to heaven. It's priceless, just like your salvation."

We talked for a minute longer and then I went back to my desk while she continued to hand out cakes to specific people. My office is basically walled off by a partition, so while I cannot see what's going on on the other side, I can hear everything. At one point Maggie came in with one last cake, but there were still a handful of volunteers that hadn't received one. Maggie must have been looking around for who to give the last one to, because I overheard our director say, "She didn't get one." To which Maggie responded, "That's not how this works. God tells me who to give these cakes to. This will be a wake up call to anyone who is deceived about their salvation."

::crickets chirping::

I was sitting at my desk wondering who in the world didn't get cakes, and what must have been going on in their minds. I was so glad that I wasn't in the main room and could just sit in shock all alone. All I can say is that I am fairly positive that salvation was on everyone's minds on their drive home that afternoon. 


Comments