Skip to main content

coronavirus update-light at the end of the tunnel

Mother's Day picture, a week late. We finished school on Friday, which hasn't really sunk in yet. But I feel pretty proud that no one had to die while I was teaching Owsley long division. We have earned our Summer break, and so far on the agenda is watching 12 seasons of Ancient Aliens. (I mean, we will *hopefully* do more than that. I'm just saying that our schedule is mostly freeeeeeeee.) My kids have a lot of Peppy's personality traits, but when it comes down their interests, they are fully immersed into the weird stuff like me. I appreciate that they enjoy watching things like this with me.

Over four months post covid here, and I feel like I could be starting to see the reprieve for good. Maybe you're over these updates. I'm basically just doing it for documentation. Last year I was so good about writing in a legit paper journal, and then I got covid and spent most of those early days like a zombie lurking around in a fog. I do believe blogging has been good for my brain though, although I used to be wonderful at spelling, it just came natural, and now I do have to think about how to spell. Or I will look at a word and think "wow, that looks weird." Maybe it does, or maybe it doesn't, I don't know. And sometimes my thoughts will be constructed in a way that makes no sense grammatically. What can you do?

Physically I feel pretty normal. I do seem to have some arthritis now that flares up when it rains and I end up feeling like I'm freezing from the inside out, even when it's 80 degrees outside. I just feel cold all the time. Everyone will be in shorts and I'm in the house in a sweatshirt and wearing a blanket like a cape. My dad has mentioned the same thing. (About being cold. Not about the cape.) Even though it is May, I still have a heating blanket on my side of the bed. I crank that sucker up to high for a couple hours at night before I go to sleep. It is so soothing to melt away into the warm bed. I also have tingles down my arms and legs, and my knees also randomly feel like like fire. I can't seem to pinpoint any particular triggers to cause this though. 

I'm down to taking only krill oil (for my brain) and then I take ginseng and tumeric as needed when inflammation is going overboard. I haven't found anything natural or OTC that seems to help with the nerve issues though. The only thing that seems to help that is CBD cream and heat, and even that is only a temporary solution.

Here's a new one- I made tacos on Monday night, and since then, everything (and I'm not even exaggerating here) tastes and smells like a baked taco. I was slicing an onion.....taco. I was eating a potato....taco. Even right now, in my living room at 6 am, we haven't had tacos in almost a week and that's all that I smell. 

My brain does seem to be going a little bit faster, which is a relief, although I do still get confused at times and I'm still not really having feelings. I often get mixed up over what day it is, or I can't remember what I did the day before, and sometimes words just fill in for me on their own. For example, last night Peppy had some lettuce seeds in a bowl and Owsley asked what they were and I said, "Watermelon. We are going to have so much watermelon this year." Even though I knew it was lettuce. I corrected myself and Peppy said, "That was weird." and Owsley said, "Oh, that happens more than you'd think." Hah! I still sometimes come into a room and don't remember what I was doing, so I try to do things the second someone asks me to, or else I will flat out forget. 

Anyway, I hope this isn't just a temporary break and I'm headed for a relapse. I've read about that happening. Even if this is my new normal, at least these particular symptoms are manageable. And while I'm not glad that my extended family got sick when I did, it's been nice to have people that I could bounce ideas off of and compare symptoms with. It's been like.....scientific research. :-D

EDITED TO SAY- IT CAME BACK WITH A VENGEANCE. HAHAHAHA THIS IS DEFINITELY CYCLICAL.

Comments