Skip to main content

chimera in the bible?

 By definition, a chimera is 

1. a mythological, fire-breathing monster, commonly represented with a lion's head, a goat's body, and a serpent's tail.

2. any similarly grotesque monster having disparate parts, especially as depicted in decorative art.

3. a horrible or unreal creature of the imagination, a vain or idle fancy.

4. Genetics. an organism composed of two or more genetically distinct tissues, as an organism that is party male and partly female, or an artificially produced individual having tissues of several species. 

To create a chimera (which they are doing now, and if they are public about it now, it means it's been going on for much, much longer) scientists introduce cells from one species into the developing embryo or fetus of another. (The name chimera comes from Greek mythology and describes a creature with the head of a lion, the body of a goat, and the tail of a serpent).

This sounds totally science fiction, but  Chinese scientists began in 2003 by fusing human cells with rabbit eggs to produce the first human-animal chimeras. A few years later the Mayo Clinic created pigs with human blood in their veins, and scientists at the University of Nevada created sheep whose livers and hearts are largely human. According to the NIH this is all done because animal-human hybrids have the potential to unlock a lot of doors when it comes to medicine and organ transplant. It also comes across as absolutely wrong to my moral compass. 

The first time I read the bible on my own I came across 1 Chronicles 11:22 which mentions the 'ariels of Moab' which is referred to in other translations as 'lion faced men.' And let's not forget the creatures that Ezekiel, John, and Enoch all saw as well. I have heard many people try to explain this away by saying our ancient ancestors gave animal-like qualities to describe certain people. And I can understand that way of logic. However, what if that answer is totally wrong? 

Right now I'm reading the book of Jasher, which is not included in the biblical cannon but was mentioned in 2 Samuel 1:18 and Joshua 10:13, as well as found in the dead sea scrolls. I read a lot of extra biblical sources. While they might not all be true, I pray over it before I read and try to keep an open mind. Plus, understanding the Jewish myths and beliefs at the time helps me understand the Old Testament even more. I'm actually in Genesis right now and am reading Jasher right alongside what's going on in Genesis.  I came across something very odd in Jasher this morning and I wanted to share it. 

"And while he was feeding his father's asses he led them to the wilderness at different times to feed them. And there was a day that he brought them to one of the deserts on the sea shore, opposite the wilderness of the people, and while he was feeding them, behold a very heavy storm came from the other side of the sea and rested upon the asses that were feeding there, and they all stood still.

And afterward about one hundred and twenty great and terrible animals came out from the wilderness at the other side of the sea, and they all came to the place where the asses were, and they placed themselves there.

And those animals, from their middle downward, were in the shape of the children of men, and from their middle upward, some had the likeness of bears, and some the likeness of the keephas, with tails behind them from between their shoulders reaching down to the earth, like the tails of the ducheephath, and these animals came and mounted and rode upon these asses, and led them away, and they went away to this day." -Jasher 36-29-32

It is interesting that most ancient cultures actually depict creatures with the bodies of humans and heads of animals, especially the ancient Egyptians and the Greeks. 


This is fascinating to me. The more I read, pray, and study, my mind is opened to ideas and thoughts that I always considered fantasy. But why is that? Could there be a nefarious reason to keep this all hidden? Would it be easier for humanity to believe in the one true God if they knew about all the weird stuff? Is the weird stuff purposely hidden to keep us from believing in the supernatural.

If Jasher's account was, in fact, correct, it indicates that pre-flood mankind had highly advanced technology that could map genomes and transfer DNA from one thing to another. I have often wondered about the potential technology that existed in pre-flood times, and even after. You don't really believe humans built all those pyramids and lifted 20 ton rocks, right? Could this be why Noah and his family were the only 8 saved, because they didn't have corrupted DNA? 

"And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him." Hebrews 11:6

This is one of my favorite verses in the bible because I can see it play out in real time in my life. I earnestly seek the scriptures daily, and the Lord has opened my mind to possibilities that I couldn't have imagined myself. Especially growing up and being taught that all of these ancient hybrid sculptures and artwork were just from the imaginations of people. Even as a child no one could give me the answers that I so desperately wanted. There always seemed to be major plot holes. 

Maybe this is why blood types have been tracked from birth. In Leviticus 17:11 it does say the life is in the blood. Maybe some of us still have this DNA embedded in us somewhere. Who knows. All I know is I love stuff like this. I geek out over this stuff. I know what we see in front of us is only a minuscule fraction of what really exists. We like to think the world revolves around us, but we are nothing more than a vapor. Here one minute, gone the next. 

It's highly possible (and probable) that chimeras are already living in laboratories and secret locations. King Solomon did say "The thing that has been, it is that which will be…there is no new thing under the sun. Is there any thing where it may be said, See, this is new? It has been already of old time, which was before us.” -Ecclesiastes 1:9-10

There is NOTHING new under the sun. It's all been done before. 

Comments

  1. The pre-flood people all lived for 800-1000 years each. I def think they had major scientific advancements. its been around 4-5 thousand years since the flood and science has advanced so slowly. what if humans had 1k years to devote to cars, or computers? I can't even imagine.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment