Skip to main content

It's a bird, it's a plane. No....it's Deanna riding on Falcor.


Superman is one of my absolute favorite rollercoasters of any theme park I've been to. I love how you drop face forward like you really would be flying. I wish I could do that. Not fly in a plane. If you know my family, you know airplanes seem to run in everyone's blood but mine. I don't want to fly in a plane. I just want to fly. Or fly on Falcor. That would be ok, too. 

Maybe 2% of people were wearing masks at Six Flags. Even then workers weren't. They still had their sanitizing stations set up, but that was it. The energy was so different, I could feel it. People were happier, strangers were talking to each other, people were hooting and yelling on the coasters. The last two times we used our passes we still had fun, but this was different. This was the theme park energy that I grew up feeling. 

I will say that I was exhausted the next day when I got home from volunteering at the food bank. Gage asked if I wanted to go for a walk, which I always am quick to say yes anytime Gage wants to spend time with me. But I said I think I need to take a nap, and ended up falling asleep on the couch for over two hours. We even had men show up and put up our carport, and I slept through all the banging. (Between the grass growing, the little porch Peppy's dad built us and the carport, the house and yard are really starting to come together. And with all the shade we get, it's at least 10 degrees cooler back here. Up next we plan on getting started on a screened in back patio.)

When I woke up from my nap I felt like a new person, and I was thinking about how I probably overdid it the past week. Last Saturday I drove to Birmingham to pick up some houseplants from Peppy's cousin. Sunday through Tuesday my father-in-law was with us, so I felt like I had to be 'on,' if that makes sense. We did have an interesting conversation one night while Peppy was grilling chicken and I was inside working on the side dishes. My FIL mentioned a friend of his that was sending him articles about the vaccine and how it was really making him question what he thought he knew as truth. He asked me what he was supposed to do, and I suggested he earnestly pray to God to open his eyes to the truth of the world, even if it was something he didn't really want to hear. And he got this look on his face that was a mix of sadness, bewilderment, and confusion. He said, "If we can't trust the government, who do we trust?" And I just looked at him and said, "God. Only God." So I hope and pray that he does give that some thought. I do believe many people are waking up and have woken up over the past 18 months, they just don't know where to turn once that happens. 

Comments