Skip to main content

pride- what goes up, must come down.


I saw this and cringed. 

If you are using tough love and abrasiveness, even if you are posting things that might be true, you're forgetting the main characteristic of Christianity is love. Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. It does not demand it's own way. -1 Corinthians 13:4 

Being a christian is not a green light to become proud and arrogant because someone is different from you. In fact, the scriptures say a thing or two about the proud:

The LORD Almighty has a day in store for all the proud and lofty, for all that is exalted, and they will be humbled. -Isaiah 2:12

Humble yourselves before the Lord and he will lift you up. -James 4:10

To fear the LORD is to hate evil; I hate pride and arrogance, evil behavior and perverse speech. -Proverbs 8:13

Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall. -Proverbs 16:18

For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you. -Romans 12:3 

But this is the one to whom I will look: he who is humble and contrite in spirit and trembles at my word. -Isaiah 66:2

When I think of pride and arrogance, my mind instantly jumps to a mental picture of Donald Trump or maybe a pharaoh, or even Veruca Salt, but I am witnessing this spirit of pride that is overtaking many christians lately. It's not a spirit of anxious anticipating the Lord's return, but instead it's pride of 'I'm right. You're wrong. Burn in hell.' Friends, remember that Christ was humble and lowly. The only time we really see another side of him is when he was flipping the tables in the temple (which seemed like a reasonable thing to do,) and when he cursed the fig tree. And I believe that was given as an example of any tree not producing good fruits will be cursed and plucked from it's roots. 

I understand it is difficult to live in a world with cancel culture and agendas that as christians we definitely do not agree with. But attacking people from a prideful angle and acting like this a hallmark of a follower of Christ is wrong. There are other ways to reason with people. I don't know anyone who is willing to listen to anything you have to say if you attack them with a haughty attitude. 

We are ALL sinners. 1 John 1:8 says that if we say we have no sin, we are liars and deceiving ourselves. If you really and truly want to be a fisher of men and bring souls to Christ, calling them out on their ignorance over a social media platform is not the way to go. And here's the thing, I have read the bible numerous times and I still believe covid to be a bioweapon, so I wonder what AOC would have to say about me? 

I think we would all be better off if we prayed for God's help in working on ourselves. When he gives us wisdom and a humble heart, it's much easier to talk to others about Christ without them feeling like we are casting stones at them. 

Comments