Skip to main content

ride down memory lane

A long, long time ago (I'm talking 30 years ago) my family had season passes to Opryland USA, a theme park in Nashville, Tennessee. We had passes until I was 14, and then the dudes in charge decided Opryland would make more money as Opry Mills, a massive shopping mall. I was bitter about this when it happened. Maybe I still hold a tiny bit of animosity, but only because I don't understand how anyone could prefer shopping over roller coasters and theme park rides. (Although I do have one child who is vehemently against anything that flips, so I do try to respect that. Then again, he is also vehemently against shopping.)

We used to go to Opryland probably every other week in the summer, sometimes every week. We would load up the astro van with a cooler lunch, and hit the interstate for the 80 mile drive to my favorite place. As we got older we would bring friends with us, but in the early days it was just me and my brother Jonathan as ride partners, while my mom and Memaw would take turns watching our baby brother while we were on the things he was too small to ride. I remember thinking it was SO cool that my GRANDMOTHER loved the Cannonball, which was a rollercoaster the looped twice. I didn't know anyone else's grandmother that was hardcore like that. 

Some kids grew up on cul-de-sacs where they didn't have to come home until it was dark. Jonathan and I grew up at Opryland. We learned manners and following the rules, (no line jumping and clean up after yourselves!) basic hygiene, (don't forget the deodorant) and patience (nothing like waiting outside for an hour in 90 degrees for a two minute ride.)

Owsley and I told my brother Jonathan that they next day he had off work we would love for him to go to Six Flags with us. He loves theme parks just as much as I do, it's just in our blood. Plus, I knew he'd be able to ride all of the circling/spinning stuff with Owsley that my stomach just cannot do anymore. Like, this and this and this: 

While we were looking for another ride that I usually avoid with Owsley, Pandemonium, which is a huge circle where riders face outwards and then swing back and forth like a pendulum, we stumbled upon a ride that Owsley and I didn't even know existed at this Six Flags.
Jonathan only rode the river rapids twice with us, but Owsley and I rode it three times. Before we go back again I am going to purchase some of those quick dry shorts, because I was wearing jean shorts and I was thankful to have brought yoga pants for the drive home, because my butt was still wet three hours later. 
Jonathan went ahead and got a season pass, so I hope he'll come with us again soon. Some people don't appreciate their families, but I lucked out with two brothers (and their wives) that I really get along with. We also lucked out with beautiful weather that had been predicated as scattered thunderstorms. Not a storm all day. And maybe because it was a week day, or maybe because people rescheduled due to potential storms, but we walked on almost everything. On the way home Jonathan tallied up the rides, and we went on 30 things in seven hours. I think that's pretty impressive.

The coasters still might not be giving me those dopamine dumps, but it makes me happy to see Owsley happy and laughing. And I also find it hilarious to see people that spent lots of their time of their appearance get soaking wet on the water rides. At least I still have a sense of humor. 

Comments