Skip to main content

midnight fright

It was a dark and stormy night. The wind was wildly whipping through the trees as the rain came down in sheets. Err...scratch that. It was a normal night. Peppy was ubering and I had been in a deep sleep for over an hour when I was suddenly awakened to this massive crashing. In my drunken sleep stupor, it sounded like someone had broken in through the laundry room window. Fortunately for me and my current fearless phase, I jumped out of bed ready to protect my family and face the intruder head on. I think I've been watching too much Marvel with the kids. 

Thankfully it was not an intruder, and I didn't have to defend my family with my bare hands. Unfortunately our built in shelves had come crashing down. I think the top one (that you can still see dangling in this picture, pulled loose from the wall, causing that stuff to slide off onto the shelf below, which caused it to completely pull from the wall. Everything broke. There was glass and potting soil everywhere. 
I am including the next picture to show you that these shelves weren't really weighed down with abnormal weight. Those gnomes were hollow. The only difference was a potted vine on that top shelf instead of the basket. Each shelf didn't have more than 10 pounds on it. The wood planks themselves are quite heavy though. They might be 20 pounds a piece. 
Stuff is stuff. Thing can be replaced and I'm not too sentimental, although I do hate those two gnomes had to perish. Peppy's dad bought them for me years ago, and they traveled all over America with us. The worst part is that the floor now has four big gashes. We do have a full warranty, but who knows how long it will take someone to get out here. I am incredibly grateful that the shelf didn't fall on someone, because it could have really hurt someone. 
Today is our monthly Day of Caring at the food bank and I signed up to work this weekend. It took me and Gage over an hour to clean it all up, and after that we were both pretty amped and it was hard to go back to sleep. I feel like I used to in my 20s after pulling an all nighter. The coffee just ain't cutting it this morning. Maybe I need to do some jumping jacks or run in place for a minute. Maybe pour some cold water on my face. 

Comments