Skip to main content

truth matters

The quest for the truth is not always comfortable. You may not always like what you hear. There may be moments of cognitive dissonance where you brain refuses to see something as a true possibility. You may grieve a part of your life that you are convicted to leave behind. You might have to sacrifice a vice that you enjoy, or let go of some bad habits, harsh attitudes and, prejudices in order to move forward. You may even have to make new friends, if the influence of your current ones are dragging you down to a place that's immoral. The truth can be so hard at times that you might even prefer ignorance.

Sometimes it's even hard to know what is true. Media and news are thrown at us from all directions all day long. It is very confusing to sift through the garbage just to find some real facts and statistics. We are constantly inputting more and more data. And the things we input become the things we output into the world and the lives of others. We can't assume that we are not affected by the things we are endlessly consuming. 

A few months ago I was putting Owsley to bed and he asked me, "Do you ever wonder how we know for sure that this God is the right one?"

I told him yes, that's something I've thought about a million times throughout my lifetime. I asked if he knows of any other gods that came to earth to understand what is was like to be human, and then sacrifice themselves because they loved people so much and wanted to spend eternity with us? I told him that's the one I want to worship. The one who gave up everything he had because he loves me. That's the one that deserves worship and praise. 

He thought about it for a minute and said, "Yes. I can agree with that." 

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No man comes to the Father, but by me." -John 15:6

And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free. -John 8:32

The Lord is near to all who call on him, who call on him in truth. -Psalm 145:18

You will find me when you seek me with all your heart. -Jeremiah 29:13

Love does not delight in evil, but rejoices in truth. -1 Corinthians 13:6

Lead me in your truth and teach me, for you are the God of my salvation. For you I wait all day long. -Psalm 25:5

You can search throughout the entire world looking for truth. My whole life I was looking for something to fill a void in my life. Until I found the truth it felt like a constant repetition of finding things that temporarily filled the void, but they all left me feeling just as empty as before. I searched everywhere. I tried everything. 

Christ is the truth. In a world where everything is upside down, chaos and confusion reigns, and distractions come from every angle, the only thing true is our Lord. 

Comments