Skip to main content

baby showers, birthdays, and anniversaries

Yesterday was my sister-in-law's baby shower. These are both my SILs. I am lucky and grateful that not only do I have a close relationship with both my brothers, but I also get along well with their wives. I can't wait to see Jonathan and Emily as parents. I can actually feel a tiny bit emotional when I think about how long they have wanted a baby. I am so happy for them. I just hope their current child (elderly and very moody dog Aasic) doesn't get too jealous with a baby around. I know Emily feels terrible, but I think she looks beautiful. 

They still don't know what gender the baby is, but me and my other SIL are both team girl. No matter what, this kid is going to be so loved. Is already so loved. 
Tomorrow is Owsley's birthday, which marks one year that our home was delivered. I remember how excited we all were, anxiously awaiting the sound of a loud truck coming down the road. We had been delayed over a month in delivery, and with all the craziness involving the covenant we never knew even existed, we were just ready to have it on our property. I think I had a ball of anxiety in my chest all summer until we finally got the house. And then we had to wait another six more weeks before everything was hooked up and connected, but I think we were able to be patient because it was finally there. Then it was still April before our last piece of furniture came in. We got to spend the first night in the house on Christmas eve. I remember how exciting it was to just look outside and see that the electricity had been connected. 

I can't believe it has been a year. Then again, this entire year of 2021 has felt like a weird dream. There's so many things lately that I've been thankful for when I wake up so very early each morning. Room to move around, a fireplace, a coffee maker that doesn't trip the breakers, floors that don't bounce and wake everyone up when you walk around, a real toilet, a dishwasher, a washer and dryer inside. 

Even when the world is falling apart, there are still good things to keep your mind from sinking.

We were supposed to take Owsley to Six Flags on Saturday, but my mom texted me on Friday night and said she saw on tv they were having a huge Veterans discount. I looked it up and the deal was insane. Veterans, active duty and their families all got in for free. So I think maybe we dodged a bullet with the crowds and we will try again this weekend. Tomorrow night we will have a little family party with cookie cake, pumpkin juice and butter beer. No decorations though. Owsley thinks they are unnecessary and a waste of money. I am thrilled with this declaration, as it makes me job so much easier. And it makes me laugh a little, because it reminds me so much of my dad.

Comments