Skip to main content

morning stream of consciousness

It is cold and sleeting outside. I let Frankie out about an hour ago and had to go find him and almost slipped down our deck. I never feel quite as alive as I do in that millisecond when I know I'm about to fall flat on my face.  

This last week really got away from me. Nothing happened, but sometimes the days just drift by without me even realizing it. I wake up, and the next thing I know, it is bedtime. Yesterday it was cold and wet, and I mostly spent my day on the couch under a new electric throw Peppy got for me. I have had a decent brain week, so instead of writing, I've been taking advantage and reading instead. Giving myself a eye strain headache in the process, but oh well. Last year I stopped reading so many books after only 1/3 or 1/2 because my brain gave up, and I can't just jumpstart it on my own again. This is all a cyclical process. So when I do get a brief reprieve from the brain fog, I better take advantage. 

Frankie knows where the best seat is around here. 

I have been practicing Wim Hof breathing techniques and I believe it has been helping with my air hunger. Whether it is actually opening up my lungs or just a mind game, I do not know. But it is nice to feel like I am taking adequate breaths, and I have actually surprised myself a few times at how long I can hold my breath. I have yet to take a cold shower though, and I probably never will in the winter. 

I've been reading Sex Cult Nun, a memoir about a child growing up in the religious cult, The Family. I'd seen a documentary on this group before, but this story goes above and beyond what I learned from the documentary. There have been times I've had to put it down because it goes into a lot of child sexual abuse, which is obviously justified and promoted within their cult. Sometimes you don't realize just how lucky you are to be born into a boring, normal, white bread family. 

Friday was my anniversary. We have been married sixteen years. We took the kids to dinner with us, how romantic! But seriously, we rarely go out to dinner anymore, so I didn't mind the kids coming along. We gave them the option to stay home, but we are a family who enjoys food. And Gage is generally in a good mood when we eat, and it is always nice to get to spend time with him when he doesn't have his ear buds in. 

Peppy made crepes for breakfast on our anniversary. It was the first time he bought groceries in months and he couldn't get over how much the price of everything has increased. I had been telling him about it for a while now, but I think he really didn't understand until he saw it himself. We don't have many grocery store options around here, and our local walmart has become a bit of an exercise course, where you have to dodge carts and weave around the numerous pallets. And good luck if you actually need to see a sales associate, because you won't be able to. If I only need a couple things sometimes I go to HomeTown, which is a bit more expensive, but anything to avoid Walmart. Although I cannot justify paying three times the price for Frankie's cat food.

It seems like everyone (seriously, everyone) who hasn't had covid yet has it right now. I even know quite a few people who had the OG strain and now have omicron. It really feels like everyone I know is sick. Maybe we all already had it. I don't know. Peppy brought home some fast moving and very contagious cold back in November. It didn't last long, we never had a fever, but all four of us had extreme night sweats for a couple nights. They are saying that is one of the key symptoms of omicron, but I don't want to be like those people who claim they had covid a year before it was even announced. All I know is that I really don't know anything. 

Anyway, I guess that is everything. The kids and I finished watching the entire Marvel Universe and we are almost finished with the entire Office series, so now we have to find something else to watch. It is a little difficult to find something that both kids will agree on. So many streaming services, so little worth watching. It is all a distraction anyway. 

Comments