Skip to main content

alone in the world with a little catdog

I don't remember ever loving cats when I was a child. I did have a cat border in my bedroom, but as far as I can remember, I have been allergic to cats. And so, by default, I became a dog person. I can remember my childhood dog, Star, providing me with a lot of comfort throughout those tumultuous hormone-fueled teenage years. And then there were Lady and Jade and Titus. Caesar and Cessna and Dizzy. Sassy (on a good day.) Cats just kind of fell off the radar, because when your eyes immediately begin to itch, water, and close up whenever you come into contact with not only a feline, but an empty room that a feline was previously lounging in, you just kind of forget about that animal. You learn to avoid cat hair AT ALL COSTS.
But then Frankie shows up. This cat that somehow doesn't cause me or Owsley to go into an allergic attack.
Frankie the cat, who could also be a dog. Or maybe I just never really understood that cats can provide the same kind of companionship as a dog. And on some days, depending on my mental status, a cat can actually be better than a dog.

*Cats are much quieter. A barking dog never used to bother me...and then we had Joey, who seemingly never, ever stopped barking. She parked at stationary objects like the basketball goal and the truck. She barked when I hula hooped. She barked when Owsley played basketball. She barked when Peppy mowed. She barked at the garbage can whenever it moved. She barked at every single squirrel, bird, rabbit and frog that she encountered. And since we live in the woods, this was practically an all hours event. If we didn't manage to have her inside before it got dark, our effort would be in vain, and she would bark all night long, much to the dismay of our neighbors.  

*Cats are very self sufficient/not as needy. Look, I love a good big dog cuddle, but I am at a time in my life where I just don't have the mental capacity to deal with a needy animal. I don't want an animal that needs to be around me 24/7. I have had a few dogs like that in the past. At the time that was ok, but right now, not so much. And Frankie will cuddle with you as well as any dog, only just a fraction of the size. She can't completely replace my love for a gigantic dog, but she is certainly a decent substitute.  

*Cats smell better. Even if she is out in the rain, Frankie has yet to have a 'wet dog' smell about her. 

*Cats don't sound as disgusting when they are licking themselves clean. Even some of my favorite dogs have driven me to the brink of insanity with that incessant slurping sound when they lick themselves. It is equal to the irrational anger I feel at people smacking their gum or nonstop tapping of their feet. I can't help it. Makes me want to rip out of my skin and take my face off. 

*Cats aren't as destructive. I know this trait varies from animal to animal, but we can leave Frankie alone inside all day long without worrying about her destroying the house. Even Titus (the second best dog to even exist) ate books. If she's bored, Frankie doesn't destroy, she just sleeps. 

Cats are a new experience for me. I enjoy getting to appreciate a new animal. I like watching Frankie interact with new people and I often watch her expressions as she experiences the world. It is fun to sit back and watch her stalk squirrels, almost as if she is pretending she is a big cat in the jungle. I am glad we have Frankie. 

Completely unrelated, but I was visiting a friend on Friday and she showed me her collection of stained glass projects she has created, and they were all so beautiful. I have really felt like covid ripped the creativity from me. I have yearned to be creative over the past few months, but I just haven't felt the spark at all. It is like this heavy weighted blanket has completely covered the creativity inside of me. But I really do want to do something. I started watching the Andy Warhol documentary on Netflix Friday night. I didn't know much about him other than his pop art collection, but it was pretty interesting, although there was so much nudity. 

Anyway, it has made me want to paint. Or just do something. Anything. And I guess I can't wait for the inspiration to return to me. I am just going to have to kickstart it on my own. I think the sunshine has something to do with it too. It is almost like a reawakening. It is always easier for me to tackle life when the sun in shining and the windows are open.

Comments