Skip to main content

side effects may vary

I have noticed that for the past week I have no trouble falling asleep around 10. Actually I usually fall asleep on the couch before then if Peppy and I are watching something. But then I will wake up, without fail, at 2:30 and will be wide awake. Usually there is a single line of a random song repeating over and over in my head the second I wake up, making it virtually impossible to go back to sleep. 

A day, a week, a month, a year. A day, a week, a month, a year. A day, a week, a month, a year.

I found myself missing my silent brain. Now that's something I NEVER thought I'd say. But seriously, it is so easy to go to sleep in five seconds when your brain is an empty void. A part of my brain that I feared was gone forever has partially returned, and yet another defining characteristic of Deanna- the ability to fall asleep anytime, anywhere- has melted away. 

I googled this side effect and tons of people have said the same thing: a few weeks into wellbutrin they would sleep for four hours and then be wide awake and not tired. Fortunately most people said that if you just ride it out your regular sleep patterns will return in about 6 weeks. Unfortunately we go on vacation in a little over a week and I highly doubt anyone is going to want me flopping around a tiny hotel room at 2 am. Plus, I will probably be sleeping with Owsley, which means it will take both of us forever to fall asleep to begin with. 

Well, at least I'm not exhausted, considering I went from a solid 8 hours (plus daily naps!) to 4 hours of sleep a night. And who knows, maybe walking miles each day at Universal will wear me out and I'll get regular sleep. 

There hasn't been any change in my lack of adrenaline, but since I'm on a dopamine reuptake inhibitor I do wonder if I will feel any happy dopamine dumps on the rollercoasters this time. I guess it is ok if I don't, because I still had a good time at Six Flags and our last Universal trip, and I didn't have any physical sensations then either.

The more I feel like I have returned to my body, the more I realize just how sick I was. In my brain fog I didn't realize how bad it had gotten. I'm still the middle oval in a Venn diagram, but I do feel so much better than I did a month ago.

A day, a week, a month, a year.

Comments