Skip to main content

for love of Velocicoaster

Last night Owsley wanted me to help him make some roller coasters on Roblox. He repeatedly reminded me that he doesn't even like Roblox, but that the other roller coaster creator costs $50 and this one is free. As we were creating our own theme park, I started thinking about the things that I enjoy about roller coasters, Velocicoaster in particular.

I was so out of my mind in brain fog on our trip in September that I didn't even remember there being raptors that you could see during the ride. I even told Owsley later that I didn't understand why there were no raptors that the carts went past. He didn't say anything, but he did look at me like I was an idiot. After riding it two weeks ago, I asked him, "Were those always there?!" He told me they were, and I believe him, because there were so many things that felt absolutely new to me on this trip, even when I knew that I saw them back in September. So many new details stuck out to me. Things seemed more vibrant and less flat. There were rides that I remembered perfectly (like Escape from Gringotts,) but then there were things that felt like I was seeing them for the first time (like the Fast and the Furious. But I probably just blocked that out because it is so bad.) We watched the Bourne Stuntacular twice in September and I really enjoyed it and I still thought half of the show felt new to me this time. 

Anyway....

The top hat (Owsley keeps correcting me when I call it a drop) on Velocicoaster is so awesome because you see into the Wizarding World area of Hogsmeade. You can actually see a whole lot of Islands of Adventure and Studios, but for the most part, the back of Hogsmeade is right in front of your face as you are airborne. You feel like, Hey! This is the mashup I never knew I needed in my life. Harry Potter and the Escape From the Velociraptor. 
As you are going down right here, you see the back of these snowy buildings and it is surreal, like listening to Rainbow Connection on Rip Ride Rocket.
You can kind of get a better idea of how close Velociaster is to the Wizarding World in the picture below. I don't mind that you can see into other areas, in fact, I like it a lot. It doesn't destroy the theming to me, although I do appreciate that Hagrid's Motorbike is closed off on its own. Hagrid deserves that.
Depending on what time of day you are on Velocicoaster, on that initial drop you can smell the Three Broomsticks in the Wizarding World. Lunch and dinner smell like fish, but in the morning you get the savory smell of bacon and that adds to the sensory overload. 
Then you hit that mosasaurus roll over the water, and you know it's going to be a good day.  I tried SO hard to get a picture of that roll (it's my favorite part!) But when it is so bright outside sometimes you can't even see what you're taking a picture of. Oh well.

I think we might be going back for a few days in September. We definitely need to get annual passes if we are. 

Comments