Skip to main content

helicopters make great decapitators

Yesterday afternoon I was trying to take a nap. For some reason all day yesterday I thought it was Tuesday. I was on the very brink of falling asleep. You know that wispy feeling when sleep comes slinking up on you and slowly grabs hold? But if you don't willingly grab the tail end, it will pass you by. After Six Flags and then Tuesday the food bank and our weekly grocery run, yesterday was house cleaning day and I was tired. Anyway, I was ready for a power nap. I was just about to float away when I heard a pounding on our front door. (We don't have a doorbell. We never got a doorbell. That doesn't even matter.)

It was our neighbor. You know, the one who wanted to keep us from getting our house. We still see him from time to time. He'll bring us half of a watermelon, which is really nice of him. I need to ask where he buys his because they are always better than the ones I get. 

He was telling me that some man had escaped a barricade and that he was hiding out at the intersection of our road, less than half a mile away. All afternoon long helicopters were flying back and forth over the woods around us. I looked up the guy, and something about the story seemed suspicious. He was wanted for domestic violence and stalking, and while neither of those things are things that will win him a top citizen award, he hadn't murdered, raped, or kidnapped anyone. So the hours of helicopters were a little weird. 

I have decided I am going to put a BEWARE OF DOGS sign in the front window where Sheldon hangs out whenever he hears someone pull up. No one needs to know that he would just sulk away and hide. Due to his size he can look menacing when he's staring from that window at the UPS man. Multiple sources have seen men walking through my parents' runway to get to an abandoned house. There's a big forest and some people suspect they might be growing weed. We also had an incident where two guys pulled into our driveway and got out and started looking at the RV and our shed. They didn't realize that Peppy was walking Sheldon and when they turned a corner, the guys hopped in their truck and drove away. I told Peppy there have been so many times that I have pulled into our driveaway and thought about how the first half of our property looks abandoned because it is just a shed and a closed up RV. People here aren't looking to steal all your stuff. They want something that they can make a quick sale with. I also think I'm going to buy my memaw a dog sign as well, even though she doesn't have a dog. 

They did catch the helicopter bandit though.

In completely unrelated news, I need to write about diatomaceous earth. I am never going to remember how to spell that word. It is kind of sad. I never needed spell check before.  Anyway, I've been taking it for two weeks. I am sleeping so soundly every night. I'm still not craving sugar, which by default has probably made me lose a little weight, but I don't own a scale so who knows. My mind has also been sharper. I remember a few weeks ago I was thinking about how I used to be so quick witted and now it takes my mind a couple seconds to catch up. I have felt more fast with my thinking lately. I also have not been bloated in ten days. 

This is morning time with Sheldon. When I wake up I immediately take him on a walk and when I get back I feed him, make a cup of coffee, and begin my devotionals, Bible reading, and Duolingo. Sheldon makes sure that I am comfortable and then he wiggles his way in. I've had wonderful dogs in the past, but I've never had a 70 pound dog that wants to cuddle with me. I appreciate this a lot. 

Comments