Skip to main content

morning stream of consciousness

This past weekend Peppy and I picked a jar of banana peppers. This summer we've had a plethora of peppers and a little lettuce, but that has been about all. Finally just over the last month our tomatoes have started coming in and I've seen green peppers and jalapenos too. But the banana peppers, wow, there's probably 40 still out there. We've been putting them on everything, pizza, sandwiches, tacos, mac and cheese. I've been giving them to friends. There's just a limited amount you can do with a banana pepper. 

Now we wait two weeks and see how these bad boys turn out. It was actually really pretty when we first jarred it, with the dill and pickling seasoning at the bottom. It looked like something you'd find at a fancy curated oil store. We went to one in Michigan and they handed out these tiny cups where you could sample the oils. 
Not much has been going on. I've been really busy with the food bank and babysitting and my Monday night Revelation class. We have also been working on teaching Sheldon some tricks. He is very smart and obedient. Kind of surreal to have a dog like that. He just really wants to please us. 

Notice in this picture....a book! One book, ah, ah, ah. Even though I can no longer focus to read, I still regularly go to the library because Owsley reads. (Previous avid reader Gage has the same problem as I do.) I always check out the section of new books, because I have found that I can *generally* read certain psychological thrillers and YA fiction. I checked out the book "The Dreamers" by Karen Thompson Walker.  I have been reading outside a lot lately because the weather is so nice right now and also when I babysit Lincoln. It's about a virus going through a college town that causes everyone to fall alseep and not wake up. It has been easy for me to read and it has been nice to be able to finish a book. (::knock on wood:: I have 45 pages left.)

The kids were talking to their friends at church who told them they don't have school on Friday and then have Fall break next week, so now my kids have been trying to coerce me to let them have time off too. I really don't do much with school this year. They are both doing online programs, and I check their grades weekly. Occasionally Gage will need help with math and we will watch a video together so that I can remember how to do it. They are both doing well in school. Owsley has this robotics dance course and he coded the robot to Rick Roll me. Actually, he ended up Rick Rolling all three of us. 

I'm still regularly hearing more and more people suddenly dying with heart failure or suddenly being diagnosed with late stage cancers. I just don't get how people cannot connect the dots. Maybe they can, but they willingly choose ignorance, because accepting the reality of what is going on might make you go crazy. Ignorance is bliss and all that. Either way, what's coming is coming. And the truth is that people are dying at an unnatural rate and many people just don't see it. Obviously as the morbid individual I am, I have always thought of death, but now even more so, although not in a scary way. I'm just conscious that any of us could die at any given moment. It doesn't give me anxiety or anything. How the deaths keep popping up kind of reminds me of playing Minesweeper. 

Our Wednesday night bible class is more like a small group and we got off on a discussion of acapella beatboxing. There's a verse in Revelation where John says he hears "singing that sounds like harpists playing their harps." So there was no instrument, but it sounded like one. So that got me thinking, what came first the sound or the instrument? Maybe people had the talent of making these sounds and so that inspired someone to make the instrument to mimic the sound. I don't know. It just made me wonder. Anyway, I came across this awesome acapella group. Do yourself a favor and watch this. It is so awesome. I have been listening to so many of their songs. There's something so moving about a whole orchestra or a stringed quartet coming from five people's mouths. 

 

The Lord knew I always wanted a big, heavy dog that would cuddle with me. He only does this with me. Plus, being around him makes my brain light up, and I'll take all the good brain stimuli I can get.

Comments