Skip to main content

LDN- ten days in

Obviously this picture has nothing to do with my post. They only look at me in tandem like that when they think I'm cutting up chicken. 

I don't necessarily understand the pharmacology behind how LDN works. I failed chemistry back in high school. I was an A and B student and this was the only class I ever failed....with a 33. Some things my brain has never been able to wrap itself around, like chemistry, calculus or playing pool. I know that LDN reduces inflammation and increases your endorphin levels. It is also supposed to increase dopamine and brain response in the amalgada. Whatever else naltrexone is doing to my brain is working. For the most part, my brain fog has been completely lifted over the last three or four days. I'm not sure if my short term memory has gotten better, but it does seem like a veil has been lifted off my brain. Those first few days I could physically feel something happening in my brain. It went from being black to having a spotline shown on the frontal lobe. (At least that is what it felt like to me.) 

The past week I have woken up pain-free every day. It has been a little bit unbelievable. I didn't have any weird side effects on 1.5 mg of low dose naltrexone, so I bumped it up to 3 mg before I went to bed last Saturday night. We had taken the kids to Six Flags that day, and between the knot in my back that acts up after long car rides and the potential for soreness the day after going to a theme park, I thought I'd experiment with doubling up and seeing how things went. 

And then I woke up Sunday completely pain-free. No stiffness, no aches, no feeling cold all the way into my bones, even though it was chilly and damp outside. It was surreal. 

On Saturday I could feel the muscle near my ear trying to flare up and activate my trigeminal nerve, but it was sort of a muted feeling, like background noise. I waited to see if it was going to turn into a full blown ocular migraine, but by Sunday afternoon it had completely tampered itself out. Unfortunately (since this new symptom started in May) I have had these recurring headaches about every 3-4 weeks and they usually last about a week. I'm praying this can continue to stomp those out, because it feels pretty debilitating at times. 

Thursday I decided to change things up a little and I took 1.5 mg at bedtime and then 1.5 mg when I got up. Along the same line as not feeling adrenaline or emotions, I also don't really feel many psychoactive effects from medication. Many people can't take LDN in the morning because it makes them extremely tired, but over the past two years I've learned that sedatives have literally zero effect on me. By the time I got to the food bank I felt like my head was more clear and I was more alert than I have been in a while, so I may start taking it twice a day spaced out like that. 

(I know this is probably not interesting to anyone. This is mostly documentation for my own benefit.)

Comments