Skip to main content

a time to air your grievances

(I'm too lazy to reformat this post, so let's just go with it.) Last night the four of us went to dinner and decided to celebrate Festivus, where we would air our grievances about each other. This was Peppy's idea, because he is the only one who has ever seen Seinfeld. I don't remember what any of the grievances were this morning (big surprise,) but fortunately we didn't have anything too mean to say. We might be an odd family to some, but we are a close unit. On Thursday Owsley actually told me that I was the only person he knows who could have a bad experience in Walmart and then come back out to the car humming and in a good mood. Holy Spirit and brain damage unite! I hope that didn't come across sacrilegious because I didn't mean it to be.

After dinner we went to see Avatar: Way of the Water. We had been planning to see it before we could see any spoilers. We all loved the first movie so much. I think we all just enjoy getting sucked into these fantastic fantasy worlds.

It was $80 for four tickets PLUS a $9 convenience fee they charge both online and at the box office. If you want to wait at the concession line you can waive the fee, but this just seems so absurd. Maybe this is normal now. I think the last movie I saw in the theater was Annabelle about six years ago with my mom, memaw, aunt, and cousin. It had been a while. I was excited to see a Freestyle machine with free refills. We drank our $7, thank you very much. I wish I would have snuck in M&Ms. They were almost $6 for a bag barely larger than a regular serving. 

I love themed lands at amusement parks. I've seen some great ones like Diagon Alley and Hogsmeade, Jurassic Park, Batuu, Toy Story Land, and Pandora. Of all the wonderfully themed places I've experienced, Pandora was the one that took me to a whole new world. You could smell and hear the flora and fauna of the Valley of Mo'ara. It really did feel like I was on another planet. And don't get me started on riding on a banshee. This is a dream just like wanting to ride a luck dragon.

The first time we went to the World of Avatar i was blown away. All I could think was that if this came from the mind of James Cameron, what could come from the mind of God? If Pandora was so beautiful, what would Eden look like? And pictures didn't do it justice anyway. Everything was like candy for your eyes, especially at night because the Navi live in a bioluminescent environment. Fantasy movies make me know I'm not supposed to be alive in this time with so many screens and distractions. I don't know, the whole village and connection of both each other and nature is just so beautiful and pure to me. 

I never care to go back to Disney World because it would never be the same. Not for us. Not for a million reasons, but I'm so glad to have these pictures and memories. The movie really brought back some memories last night. I'm finding this is the way these things happen. I am triggered by something and that makes me remember.
















That was another life ago. But last two years or not, I've lived a fortunate life.

I didn't realize we needed 3D glasses for the movie last night, but they ended up being so much better than I expected. I've actually had a problem with most things looking flat since covid, so it was actually nice to see things popping out the way it was supposed to be. I thought the first movie was visually more appealing because there seemed to be so much magic in the night, but I enjoyed the plot of this movie better. Plus, much of it was under water and since I hate water it was probably the closest thing I'll ever have to scuba diving. I do love the idea of underwater and those scenes were also beautiful. I just don't want to be there. And of course, the banshees. I want to ride a banshee. 

The movie brought up some emotions and I actually had a tear go down my right cheek three separate times. Once was the music. The score was beautiful to begin with, but it also played something that meant something important to me deep down. There was also a dynamic between a mother and a son, and then it was just an overall sad feeling over this one guy whose job was to essentially drain the 'adrenochrome' of this whale creature. Don't worry this is not a spoiler alert.

If you enjoyed the first movie, go see the second. At least watch a youtube recap to get caught up or something. There's a good chance we might not go to the movies. It was 4 pm on a Friday and the theater was probably 60% full. I wasn't sure if movies were still a thing or now, especially no that so much is direct to stream.


Comments