Skip to main content

you don't know what you have until its gone

I don't really have a favorite food, but anytime my parents took me out for a birthday meal it was always to Chili's for their honey crispers chicken and waffles. The waffles were unlike any waffle batter I've had before, and the chicken had this awesome sauce with jalapenos and bacon bits. We'd often ask for extra sauce because it was just so good. Peppy and I loved this spicy chicken waffle we had found at Disney World, and when we discovered the Chili's menu item we were excited because it was even better than the Sleepy Hollow Waffle. 
Chili's chicken and waffles
Disney chicken and waffle-this one is still REALLY good though.

I guess the last time we ate at Chili's was in July for my birthday. So it has been at least seven or eight months.

The portion was huge. They gave you four waffles with chicken and a side. Peppy and I both loved this meal. We could share it if we got it to-go, or if we ate in the restaurant we knew we'd have enough leftovers to have another meal. Another plus- when reheated it tasted just as good as it did at Chili's.

My mom took me and the kids to lunch a couple weeks ago and asked them where they would like to go and Gage decided on Chili's. I was excited because that meant chicken and waffles, and Peppy was excited because that meant I'd be bringing home leftover chicken and waffles. 

We were seated and I noticed that the menu was remarkably smaller. Ok. I understand. Lots of places are having to downsize menu items due to price increases and lack of supply. I begin to feel a sinking feeling in my gut. That's when I noticed the chicken and waffles were gone. I could still get the honey chicken crispers, but no waffles. And no special sauce either. 

I really do understand. I doubt they were using waffle batter for anything else. Or maybe there was some problem with their supply chain and it just made sense to nix the chicken and waffles. I don't know. It could be so many different things. 

Everything is changing though, and so fast. You never know when it will be your very last time to do something, and this is just a stupid and trivial example.

Although I do know when my very last time to step foot in a Chili's was. Sorry Chilis, you are dead to me. I will however give you a golden star for having a freestyle Coke machine. Those are a special rarity in a sit-down restaurant. And I have a  picture of the very last time I got to enjoy the chicken and waffles. 

Moral of the story: Enjoy it while you have it.
And now I get to hurry and rush to get ready to leave for the food bank, because instead of knowing what I should be doing, I'm sitting here waxing poetic about chicken fingers. 


Comments