Skip to main content

cookie jars, hitler, mushrooms and nicotine....

.....these are a few of my favorite things. Wait, what?
Yesterday Peppy's cousin came over and we drove to the little town a couple miles away and went to a few thrift and antique stores. I ended up buying two cookie jars that I don't really need, but I thought the cactus was adorable and the orange just made me happy. The orange jar looks like it came from Hobby Lobby, but the cactus is OpalHouse. I was trying to find the year it was made and couldn't, but they are selling these for $20 plus shipping on ebay.
The owner in one of the stores really wanted to sell me this Hitler photo collage. He even told me he'd lower the price to $30. In comparison, my cookie jars were $4 a piece. Sorry, that's a hard pass for me, although I would have bought it as a joke if it were only $4. I would have cut out all his pictures and put them in frames and randomly hid them in my families' houses and other strange places. Kind of like a weird scavenger hunt. Now that I'm thinking about it that might be worth $30 to me before super massive inflation, but now $30 is a lot of money to waste on Hitler. 

Anyone else go through antique stores and think about all the dead people that once owned this stuff? Maybe someone died wearing that watch. Maybe someone died in that rocking chair. Maybe someone made really bad decisions in that prom dress. Maybe someone was murdered with that machete. So many possible histories for each item. 

Once we got back to my house we went and collected mushrooms in the woods behind my house. Theresa knows a lot about mycology and was really geeking out at all the different types of fungi in the woods. I learned a thing or two as well. I don't know much about edible mushrooms, because Peppy and I don't like them, but I did learn which ones were poisonous, which is useful to know in case it ever gets so bad we have to forage wild berries and mushrooms. 

It is day four of my experimental nicotine treatment therapy and I felt really good yesterday. I put the patch on first thing in my morning like my brother suggested, and it actually seemed to be better that way because I was able to wake up with an extra burst of energy. Just ask my friend Sara. She received a bunch of early morning wild texts about what if the Civil War was not real. Fun Fact: This youtuber Jon Levi posts amazing videos breaking down why he doesn't believe the buildings that were established in the mid 1800s could have possibly been made during that time. I tried to watch some of his videos when we lived in the RV, but his monotone voice drove me so crazy that I couldn't stand to listen to his videos. His videos randomly started popping up in my recommendations a few months ago and I watched one, and remembered him from four years ago. Only this time I really enjoy the sound of his voice. How's that for a brain change?

Anyway, I had no trouble sleeping the second night, and I didn't even start yawning until at least 9 pm, which is like 3 hours later than normal. Maybe I woke up once. I think maybe I dreamed, but it wasn't vivid enough for any of it to stick. When I woke up I felt rested and was able to concentrate on my morning scripture reading and prayer without any problem. And then, like I said, I sent some triple shot espresso type texts to my friend. I had no problem going to sleep last night either, and I know I dreamed, although I'm not sure about what. I am still anxious to see if this lasts after the seven days is over, because I don't think wearing nicotine patches for the rest of your life is the solution for me. If this doesn't work, I'm sure I will try some new experiments down the line. 
Is this not the tiniest nutella you've ever seen? My mom gave me this, but she couldn't remember where she got it. I don't know if I'm supposed to throw it in my purse in case I need an emergency dose of nutella or something? Well, I mean, you never know when a craving might hit and this little waste of plastic might save the day. Or someone might be having a diabetic crash and I could be a hero by hurling this tiny nutella in their general direction in slow motion. They open their mouth wide and in the nutella lands. They swallow it whole, container and all, and the day is saved.

You never know. It could happen. Stranger things have happened, that's for sure. 

Comments