Skip to main content

nicotine therapy, day one

I picked up a pack of 7mg nicotine patches yesterday and immediately put one on when I got in the car. My brain was already so mushy I figured it couldn't hurt anything. I know I mentioned the pollen making it feel like I had cotton in between my eyes and brain, and shortly after applying the patch that lifted. I really don't think I would have been able to placebo effect that one myself. I was actually a little shocked at how fast the stuffing in my head lifted. It remained that way for the rest of the day.

I went home and went outside for a little while and watched Owsley ride his one-wheel. It wasn't too hot, but out of nowhere I felt really hot and nauseous. This was when I remembered that I hadn't eaten anything all day and it probably wasn't a good idea to put the patch on with an empty stomach. Hindsight, and all that. But I don't eat much anyway, and I regularly take medication and supplements on an empty stomach so the thought didn't even cross my mind. However, I don't normally smoke 7 cigarettes a day either, and that is what Mr. Google told me the 7 mg patch was equal to. So it's no wonder I felt like I did. I laid down for a bit and ate a banana. I felt normal after an hour or so. 

A few nonsmoker reviews had suggested starting out for a few days with 1mg gum to get your body adjusted to the nicotine, so if anyone is going to try this at home and they don't smoke either, maybe I would also suggest starting out at a lower dose, or even cutting the patch in half. The box says don't do that, but tons of people said they did, and when have I been one to follow medical advice anyway? 

I read many personal accounts of people having wild dreams. I wasn't sure what to expect because I really don't dream anymore, and when I do it is never anything that sticks. The last time that I had an extremely vivid dream was about a year ago when I started taking wellbutrin. I had a really crazy dream about Peppy's aunt flying on a bicycle with a basket full of puppies. 

It did take me a while to settle down and fall asleep. Usually I'm asleep on the couch before 8 while we watch a couple episodes of Bob's Burgers together, but last night it was 11 pm before I even started yawning. I did sleep, although I remember waking up a couple times. I didn't want to take the patch off to potentially sleep better, because I didn't want there to be another nauseating readjustment period after I put the next patch on. Plus, there must be a reason that you are supposed to keep it on nonstop for seven days.

I had some dreams, but nothing too crazy. It was some sort of murder mystery. I could still see pieces of it when I woke up, but now it has floated away. I remember barging in on Peppy's dad and stepmom sleeping so that I could tell them if they needed anything from the first aid kit it would be on the top shelf in the bathroom. And I lived in this massive cabin with a working art gallery inside, where there was an endless stream of rich people coming in and out to buy art. 

Despite restless sleep, I woke up wide awake. It reminded me of the day after I first took wellbutrin. My brain still feels light like it did yesterday. In fact, it feels like a stark contrast from yesterday morning where I struggled to type and couldn't focus to read or pray. 

One day down, six to go. Now I just need to set a reminder to eat, or else it will be late afternoon before I get hungry.

Edited to add that my brother, who is a pharmacist, told me I need to swap out patches first thing in the morning because even though they are 24 hours they release the most at first, and to definitely not cut them up or else it would basically just be a sticker. 

Comments