Skip to main content

two little meditations from Hebrews

This morning I was reading in Hebrews. I just wanted to share a couple particular verses.

"Are they (angels) not all ministering spirits sent out to serve for the sake of those who are to inherit salvation?" -Hebrews 1:14

Do you ever think about what is going on that we cannot see? I do. I think of it often. There is an account in 2 Kings of Elisha's servant being terrified of attack. Elisha prays that Gehazi's eyes would be opened so that he could see they were safe. Suddenly Gehazi is able to see that angels of the Lord were surrounding the entire valley. Sometimes I wonder how many times each of us have been protected from something that we can't even see. Whenever Sheldon and Frankie (or previous pets, or even babies) would stare at something that I couldn't see I often wonder what they are so fascinated by. Balaam's donkey could see. Maybe we humans have been conditioned not to see. Not to believe the supernatural is real. (I know I was.) Perhaps all animals and babies can see things that we've been trained to believe aren't true. 

I sometimes think of the time Owsley was less than two years old and kept telling me there was a man in the room with us, and then after his nap he told me that man rocked him to sleep. He wasn't scared of whatever he was talking about. A baby doesn't even have the knowledge to create a ghost story anyway. 

I often tend to dwell on the evil side of spirits and how they are influencing the world, but the obedient angels are just as present. They are constantly ministering to us in ways that we can't even fathom.

"You, Lord, laid the foundation of the earth in the beginning, and the heavens are the work of your hands; they will perish, but you will remain; they will wear out like a garment, like a robe you will roll them up." Hebrews 1:10

Have you ever rolled up a ball? No. Well maybe if it was deflated and flat. I've rolled some aluminum foil or paper into a ball. But you usually roll flat things up. 

That is all.

Comments