Skip to main content

CLIMB works

We are back at the treehouse for a minute while Peppy does some reports for work, so I thought I'd take time to write about this morning while it is fresh on my mind.

We got to go ziplining and man was it one of the coolest things I have ever done. I think maybe not having a sense of adrenaline sucks sometimes, but today it was so great. People were having to psyche themselves up to step off the platform, but not me. I just took a step and off I went. 

The hardest part for me was getting into the harness. It reminded me of putting on seltbelts in small airplanes. There's a lot of buckles and mechanics, so I was happy to let the guide just do it for me. 

We got to do six different zips of various lengths and heights. They taught us to hang upside down and the last one they let us do whatever we wanted. We were a group of ten people and we all got to know each other pretty well. Our guides were all awesome and I think I'll even leave a Google review, and I never do that. 

The weather even held off for us. It began to sprinkle on the last line, but fortunately the weather hasn't been nearly as bad as we thought. It has rained on and off, but not enough to ruin anything. Not yet at least. 

They start you off with an ATV ride up the mountain and then you climb like a million stairs. There are also multiple swinging bridges. Like I said, having no adrenaline worked to my advantage. There were multiple towers to climb. So you had to be in fairly decent shape as well. We even saw three more bears from one of the towers. They must really be out right now. 

I ended up just wearing an extra pair of Peppy's shoes that he'd brought. They were a little big, but the guides did the stopping for you, so it wasn't like I was trying to stop myself wearing clown shoes. 

I thought this would be a fun job for a young person. All the guides were in there early 20s. I asked them how long they had to train, and they said they only had to train in each spot for a week, which a little surprising. But its just like working a rollercoaster. You're buckling people in, you just get to go on the ride with them too. 

This is my favorite picture ever. I felt happy, like theme park happy. And that's not anything I ever feel anymore. It was just so much fun. I'm so glad we got to do it. 

When we got back to the main office, three young kids immediately approached me. They were probably between 7-10. They asked, "Was it scary?" 

Luckily they asked the perfect person. I said, "No, it was so much fun. It felt like flying. " 

"It wasn't scary, even a little?"

So I decided to just pretend like I could feel. "Ok, maybe the first one is a little scary. But just look across, don't look down." Then one of their moms walked up and said that is what she had been saying and the dads were mouthing "thank you." I hope the kids had as much fun as our group. The youngest in our group was probably eleven. She was scared for the first jump and then had a blast. She was more embarrassed that she had to be "piggybacked" by a guide on two of the lines because she didn't weigh enough to make it all the way across. 

I just hate that it's over. But I know that one picture of us in the air will always make me smile. 

Comments