Skip to main content

WANTED dead or alive: something positive

Since I've come across so whiny lately, especially about my medical experiences, I thought I would share something positive. After feeling almost instant relief from the sample of nurtec the neurologist prescribed, I looked it up on the United Health website and saw that they only paid for that medicine with restictions, meaning you had to try two other migraine medications and have problems with them before they would pay for nurtec. 

While looking up nurtec on the United Health page, I found that Cove consultations with our insurance were free, and for $10 a month I could subscribe to have migraine medication sent straight to my house or to the local pharmacy. I did the math and it would be $45 for three months of meds sent through their website, or $30 at the local pharmacy, so I obviously asked them to change my prescibing pharmacy. And they immediately sent it in. 

To apply to Cove you have to fill out a really long questionnaire and then you have to upload two different videos of things I had to do during my neurology screening, to rule out other potential migraine causes, like tumors or Parkinsons. I had to say the days of the week backwards and then close my eyes, hold my hands out straight and then touch my nose with the pointer finger of each hand. I was thankful that I waited this long to try something like this, because there were multiple steps of things to remember in a single video upload, and a year ago I wouldn't have been able to remember them. It took me watching the practice video four or five times before I even felt confident that I'd remembered what I was supposed to do in each video.

I heard back from a doctor within 48 hours, and once I started chatting with him it was an almost instant response. He actually referred to my application and made specific mention of not wanting to put me on certain medications because I was already on Wellbutrin. AND he prescribed me zofran. I was actually shocked when I told the neurologist how nauseous I am, like half the time, and he didn't prescribe me anti-nausea medicine because anyone will prescribe that. It's not like I was asking him to prescribe oxycontin. I just don't want to barf. I don't think I'm asking the world.

The doctor also prescribed a preventative and a pill (like the nurtec) to take for acute attacks. 

To be honest, I've had headaches on and off my entire life, but I have never sought out any treatment because it never felt too bad until the trigimenal neuralgia. Feeling the relief after taking that nurtec made me realize that it's not normal to deal with that amount of pain all the time. But because I hate doctors so much I just dealt with it. I mean, I don't hate them. I just avoid them at all costs. Oh, how the turns table. 

This is one part of the online world that I currently appreciate that I have access to. It really helps out the introvert in me. Actually, cold calling from the food bank has made me comfortable zooming with these doctors. Otherwise I would avoid internet doctors too. So thank you food bank, for throwing me out of my comfort zone, even if sometimes I can't stand it. 

So here's a great story. I couldn't remember my families' code number to open the side door of the church building. It is very sad, but since the church shootings started before covid, almost every church has a security team now. I'm almost like, "but where's the faith?" Anyway, this past week has been VBS and I was trying to unlock the door for someone who was carrying snacks to cradle roll and I couldn't remember our number, so she gave me hers. 

One of the men overheard and looked up our code on his phone and told it to me. He said, "Yeah, Peppy said y'all wouldn't forget this one." I punched in the code trying to wrack my brain about what the four digits were. 

It finally hit me. It's our anniversary. I think this makes the third time I've forgotten my anniversary in the last two and a half years. Oh well. At least I know what the code is now. Peppy laughed. I laughed. It really is a funny story. I also found the shelf stable ravoili in the freezer. Some days my brain just works better than others. 

This picture has absolutely nothing to do with this post, but I am currently looking up places to eat while we are at the Treehouse AirBNB and I thought about the last time we stayed in a cabin in Gatlinburg without the kids. I think this was ten years ago, and we did every single tourist thing. So I'm trying to find the more non kitschy things, the more outdoorsy things that are no longer simple fun for the kids anymore. But right now my main goal is finding food places. Neither of us are very good at making last minute food decisions, which is sad because we both really enjoy good food. You'd think we wouldn't wait until the very last minute to......oh, wait, nevermind.

Speaking of Nevermind. There was a 5 year old with a Nirvana shirt on at VBS last night and I really wanted to ask her if she actually liked Nirvana. But that would draw more attention to me, which is something I do not wish to do. But I still wondered. 

Last time we ended up at Dick's Last Resort, where you basically pay to be treated like crap. This was fun once, but now that most people are treating each other like crap, this place probably hits different. 


Comments