Skip to main content

two things that i just don't understand

What in the world is this TikTok trend of influencers getting paid to act like NPCs? My dudes...I get that I'm a bit of a lunatic, but come on. This is absolutely baffling to me. Maybe you don't know what I'm talking about, because I only learned about it earlier this week and even then, I didn't understand they were pretending to be NPCs until this morning. 

Seriously. What in the actual world is this? (I don't know who this youtuber is. I just looked up TikTok NPC compilation videos and this was the first result.) I can't even tell what they are saying, but I wonder how something like this might affect your brain in the long run. What even is a 'glizzy?' Honestly, I have told Peppy that I understand a lot of the zoomer mentality of making everything a joke and not making longterm plans or goals, but this is one that makes me feel the immense divide between being a zoomer and an elder millennial. Or maybe I'm being ageist and there are people my age and older doing this too. 

My kids do spend more time on technology than I would like, but at least they are doing something. Gage is always making music or gaming, and Owsley is big into editing videos and designing rollercoasters and theme parks. If I were to walk by their room and hear them acting like these TikTokers I would legitimately think they were possessed. 

Really, what is going on? How many hours a day are people doing this? Who are the people who are actually paying money to see these people pretend to be an NPC? Maybe that is my biggest question. In a time when everything is expensive and the cost of living does not equal someone's salary, who in their right mind is spending real money on this? What is wrong with a person that they would sit down and contently watch this? It seems like it would be such a niche fetish, so it is hard for me to understand how it has become such a trend. I am so glad to not live in social media anymore. I understand why most people still have it, but now that I am not longer living in the online faux reality, life is so much more pleasant. I still spend more time than I should online, but I'm not watching other people live all day long. 

Nonexistent segue to the next thing I don't understand. Maybe I don't understand these things because I don't live in the virtual reality anymore. These things seem weird to anyone living in reality. Although I guess if I'm going with that train of thought it is easy to understand why someone would want to escape reality. But there must be a better escape than supporting NPCs, right.....?

I appreciate that Disney has gone out of its way to change up the races in some of their live action remakes. Not every princess needs to be white, and it would be weird to be a small child and not see your race included in a majority of the princess roles. I don't watch many of the remakes just because eh, they don't really appeal to me, but the inclusion is a good thing.

However.....they are remaking Snow White and I do not understand some of the casting choices. Some people are up in arms that the actress cast as Snow White is of Latin descent. Who cares? Her two defining features were her deathly pale vampire skin and black hair, and it seems like the actress will be able to pull off both of those. So why does her race even matter? 

What I don't understand is the complete deletion of the dwarves for the 'seven magical creatures of all shapes and sizes.' Dwarfism is real. Everybody knows that. I highly doubt the actors that were born with dwarfism cared about the remake being politically correct. This is so silly to me. I do not understand the point of this one at all. And I'll go ahead and tell you that if they were going for body size inclusion in the 'all shapes and sizes,' there isn't really a representation for an obese person. They just look like a bunch of gypsy stoners.
I would definitely raid their closets for those hoodies, especially the 'creature' in the back that appears to be slightly taller than average. I mean, if you compare him with the guy in the front with actual dwarfism, magical creature in the back might actually be average size. I think he might actually be a member of Tame Impala.

 They are also remaking Willy Wonka. Again. Gene Wilder is surely rolling over in his grave. Probably Roald Dahl too because they keep destroying a classic story. Anyway, instead of casting, you know, little people as the oompa loompas, they cast Hugh Grant, a man who is almost six feet tall. Yes, they used CGI to make him smaller, but that hardly seems relevant. If the woke crowd is making sure trans and gay roles are given to trans and gay actors, why are the roles that a person with dwarfism can play given to tall actors? Are they going to cast Peter Dinklage as Abraham Lincoln? I guess if they were truly *woke* they would. 

Comments