Skip to main content

sludge on the ground, sludge in the pipes

Oh wow. This week has been like one long, continuous day. Due to the snow and ice, everything was shut down all week long. There was nowhere to go and nothing to do. Admittedly, I am one of the most introverted and antisocial people that I know, but even I was missing people, especially since Peppy wasn't here for a couple days. Not having a routine has made everything blur together and right now there are no days of the week. I think it is Friday, but it has felt like Friday for a few days now. It is easy to see how someone could quickly get disoriented with time if they were stranded somewhere. 

I have cleaned my house and all of my cabinets, and sorted through some stuff in the closet. Our garbage can is overflowing because the garbage truck didn't run this week and won't come until Tuesday. I started watching a four hour documentary on the Dark Ages because the comments talked about how compelling and thought provoking it was. I made it a little over an hour and gave up when he got the Barbarians and Huns because it was so boring. 

Peppy had to fly to Chicago for work and our 600 foot long gravel driveway was covered with about six inches of snow. When this happened three years ago, Peppy just drove his car to the very end of the driveway when it started snowing. Alabama generally gets a yearly drizzle that might cancel school for a day, but our versions of blizzards only come along every handful of years. That is ok with me, because snow is nice as it's falling, and then the next day when everything is bright, white, and super quiet. (I promise I didn't mean for that to rhyme.) But then by day three it is just nasty, and by the time it is fully melted and all the dead foliage is brown and swampy, I am very glad that I do not live in a snowy climate. 

I had never shoveled snow in my life. This was a brand spanking new experience for me. Peppy had to go back and forth from the driveway to his office a few times to do stuff for his job. I went in with him one time and took a break, but after realizing how long it took to take off all my clothes only to have to put them back on ten minutes later, I decided to just keep on shoveling. It took almost five hours to finish. Owsley helped a bit and Gage offered to help, but we only had two pairs of boots, and like I said, once I was already geared up I figured I might as well just finish. Moving around so much I never really got cold at all. 

It was after dark as we finished and Peppy had rigged up a flashlight so we could see as we finished up. I had a thought that this was probably similar to what it looked like when they faked the moon landing. 

When we were done and back inside, my legs felt like cruise ship legs. I was surprised it wasn't my arms that were hurting. When I took my first bite of dinner, I promise you it was the best thing I'd ever eat, even though it was leftovers from the night before. (I was actually so thankful it was leftovers, because I didn't have any energy left to fix anything anyway.) I told Peppy this is what people working outside all day must feel like when they come in for dinner. I'd never been so excited to eat leftovers in my life. 

This afternoon we all got text alerts to boil all our water if we lived within a 5 mile radius of a local water tower. According to google maps, we live 6.9 miles away, but probably best to be safe than sorry when it comes to parasites and fecal matter. Yeech. 


I am not a hardcore apocalyptic prepper or anything. We do have things we would need in many emergency situations, but we don't have some store room with a hoard of food and supplies. I know that whatever happens, my faith in the Lord is going to help me more than anything else. I pray for wisdom and ask for guidance and more than anything I have been led to collect water. So I am really thankful to not be having to stress about boiling a ton of water right now. Access to clean water is something we all take for granted. 

Comments