Skip to main content

morning stream of consciousness

Weekend with G-pap was uneventful and quick, which is how I like it. I have given a lot of thought to my struggle with hospitality lately, and I really and truly feel like (aside from feeling weird to have a new creature all up in my routine) I think I have a lot of CPTSD about house guests. We grew up having to have our rooms look like museums. We were not allowed to sit on our beds and everything had to be pristine. But that is just not who I am. This is by far the cleanest house that I have ever maintained, but I have two teenagers and two inside pets. It is not sparkling. Anyway, I feel like deep down I feel like house
guests make you turn into a character and be performative, which is exhausting. At least that is how I felt as a child, and clearly it has carried over into my adult life. I have no problem throwing parties where people leave after a couple hours, but having guests spend continuous nights is something I have to pray a lot about, because it really is does not come natural to me. Especially house guests that talk 100000000x more than I have in my entire life. There were a few times where Peppy asked my opinion about something I had no idea what they were talking about. 

Anyway, I felt bad for Brian because he left his house on 8 am Friday. This is generally a 6 hour drive, but due to road work and wrecks it took him 9 hours. He thought this must have been a fluke, but we make this trip far more often than he does, and I don't remember the last time they weren't doing construction that massively  slowed down the interstate. I do not believe it will ever get better. Plus, with the amount of people staring at their phones while they are driving, safe driving is a thing of the past. The road is like the wild west. It's a gamble every time you go on a high traffic road. Actually, not even busy streets either. I joke that our neighbor has been cursed, because there have been THREE wrecks in front of his house since the beginning of the year, and this is just a straight piece of road. People probably thinking because it's an empty, straight road they can take the time to send a text. Well they were wrong. The last accident, Peppy was outside grilling and he heard a crash and people screaming. He runs over and the two ladies are bleeding and freaking out and trying to figure out who they are going to tell the cops was actually driving. 

That little brief story was irrelevant, but needless to say, he didn't get here until dinner time. We grilled some food and then it was pretty much time for bed. Saturday they took Owsley to ride his one wheel and they walked a trail. I stayed at home because I was in the tail end of a 10 day TN flare up. I know the timing seems a little suspicious, but I would not wish for a flare up with an ocular migraine just to get out of walking on a trail with my father-in-law. (Fortunately by Sunday afternoon I was feeling pretty normal, so I hope it's over. They usually don't last over 6 days.) 

They went to their concert Saturday night. Sunday we went to church and then drove an hour to Brian's sister's house for lunch and a belated birthday party. There were like were like 20 of us there, and while I've seen pretty much everyone over the last few years, we hadn't all been together like that. Everyone's kids are older and one family has five kids, so it is rare that there's a time we can all come together. So that was pretty cool. Owsley hadn't seen some of his cousins in a couple years, and they were right there running and playing in the yard like they see each other every day. 

Brian is a person who saves everything. While living in the RV, he gifted us with a metal trash can filled with sharpies and badminton rackets. He has brought us black trash bags filled with (probably radioactive) scrubs from when he worked at the nuclear plant. Sometimes these gifts are slightly more useful. They have always been very generous with any furniture they don't want. And for a while when we lived in our last house it seemed like my mother-in-law was changing up rooms every year. They recently got new furniture for their sunroom, and they brought us their outdoor furniture, which legitimately looks like it was made for our back deck. Up until then it just had my gravity lounger out there, which was fine with me because I am the one that uses the deck more than anyone else. But it is really nice to have this. 
I am actually typing this from the comfort of my new outdoor furniture, that seems to blend in very well with our unstained deck. Practically made for each other.

I am getting a bit cracked up at these christians who are up in arms about the 'Transgender Day of Remembrance," because I think that has been a thing for like 15 years now, it just happened to roll around on Fertility Fest Sunday this year. ANDDDDD Christ... was in the tomb THREE days. So that would be Friday night, Saturday night AND Sunday night. He came out on a Monday. So even Easter was in celebration of Christ, his resurrection day was never on Sunday to begin with. So none of this even makes sense, and people are getting their drawers in a wad because demons are fighting with demons. The demons on the sidelines are la la la la la they're lovin' it. 

Comments